Can Dogs Eat Licorice? No, here’s why

Sometimes it can be tempting to give your dog a little piece of what you’re eating, especially if they are begging. Dogs can sniff out treats quickly, and it may seem that whenever you’re eating, your dog is right by your side, asking to be fed. Dogs are omnivores and can eat many different types of foods. Foods that have been produced for humans aren’t suitable for dogs. Can dogs eat licorice?  It’s never a good idea to give your dogs processed foods as these contain ingredients such as salt, sugar, and preservatives that aren’t good for your pet’s health.  This includes licorice.

Don’t give your dog licorice as this can cause an upset stomach, vomittng and diarrhea as well as other unpleasant symptoms. This article will look at why it’s not a good idea to let your dog eat licorice and what to do if your pet steals some licorice from you.

 

Why dogs shouldn’t eat licorice

Licorice has no health benefits and little nutritional value; it, therefore, shouldn’t be given to dogs. Licorice can also be harmful to some dogs, especially those with pre diagnosed health conditions such as diabetes, liver or kidney disease, or cardiovascular disease. It’s never a good idea to give licorice to a dog who’s pregnant or nursing.

This doesn’t mean that your dog can consume licorice if they are healthy as dogs will get an upset stomach and suffer from abdominal pain and diarrhea after eating the treat.

Dog’s shouldn’t be given licorice as it has a high sugar content, which will lead to tooth decay and health issues such as diabetes and obesity. The main ingredient in licorice is glycyrrhizin, which is bad for dogs. After eating licorice, your dog’s blood pressure can rise to dangerous levels, which can be fatal in the worse cases. Licorice also causes water retention in dogs and can reduce their potassium levels.

Try feeding your dog a safer human food treat, such as peanuts.

 

Can dogs eat sugar free licorice?

Sugar-free licorice also contains an ingredient called Xylitol, which replaces the sugar. Xylitol is toxic to dogs, and a small amount of sugar free licorice could kill your pet. Never give your pet sugar free licorice or any other treat that’s sugar free.

 

What to do if your dog eats licorice?

If your dog accidentally steals a bit of licorice, keep an eye on him and call the vet for advice if your pet has any symptoms. If a large amount of licorice has been consumed, it’s best to take your pet straight to the vet rather than waiting for symptoms to develop.

Licorice can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs; you may also notice your pet becoming lethargic. Other symptoms include hyper activeness, raised blood pressure, muscle weakness, and a change in character.

 

What is licorice?

Licorice is a black, sweet treat that’s created using a plant called Glycyrrhiza glabra. This plant is native to Western Asia and countries across Southern Europe. Licorice is produced by extracting glycyrrhetinic acid from the plant, which creates licorices’ unique flavor. It has been used by people to treat various diseases over the centuries.

Licorice is available in various treats, as licorice sticks, added to different types of candy, or as a sugar free variety. Sugar free licorice contains Xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Whichever sort of licorice you’re eating, it isn’t suitable to share with your pet.

 

Conclusion

Hopefully, after reading this article, you’ve been put off giving licorice to your pet. Your dog is reliant on you to make the best food choices, so enjoy licorice by yourself without sharing it with your dog.

Feeding licorice to a dog can cause many health problems, some of which can be long lasting or even fatal. It’s particularly harmful to give licorice to diabetic dogs or those who are pregnant, nursing, or suffering from kidney or heart conditions.

If your dog accidentally eats licorice, call your vet for help and advice immediately. Don’t wait for symptoms to develop. Depending on your pet’s size, even a small piece of licorice can be dangerous as the treat contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs.