Havapoo vs. Cavapoo: Comparison Table
Almost Everything you’d want to know when comparing the Havapoo and Cavapoo can be found in this table. If you want to learn more, the article below expands on it further.
|Breed Origin||Crossbreed of Havanese and Poodle||Crossbreed of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle|
|Size||Small||Small to Medium|
|Weight||Typically 7-20 pounds||Typically 9-25 pounds|
|Height||Around 8-15 inches at the shoulder||Around 9-14 inches at the shoulder|
|Longevity||Generally 10-15 years||Generally 10-15 years|
|Health||Prone to hip dysplasia, hearing problems, and eye disorders||Prone to heart problems, hip dysplasia, and eye disorders|
|Grooming Requirements||Regular grooming needed due to curly or wavy fur; low shedding||Requires regular brushing and grooming; may have wavy or curly coat|
|Temperament||Affectionate, friendly, and intelligent||Friendly, affectionate, and social|
|Energy Level||Moderate; enjoys active playtime||Moderate to high; enjoys walks and playtime|
|Training||Highly trainable, responsive to positive reinforcement||Intelligent and eager to please; responds well to training|
|Social Needs||Enjoys being with people, can be prone to separation anxiety||Social and enjoys being with family; can be prone to separation anxiety|
|Suitability for Families||Great with children and other pets; suitable for families||Very good with children and other pets; ideal for families|
|Apartment Living||Well-suited for apartment living||Adaptable to apartment living|
|Common Coat Colors||Black, white, gray, tan, and combinations thereof||Blenheim, tricolor, black, gold, and combinations thereof|
Cavapoo vs. Havapoo: Comparing Poodle Mixes
Understanding the Distinct Qualities of Each Breed
Cavapoos and Havapoos are both popular designer breeds, but they have distinct characteristics that set them apart.
- Havapoo: Generally smaller, averaging 8-15 inches in height and weighing 7-20 pounds.
- Cavapoo: Slightly larger, with an average height of 9-15 inches and a weight of 9-25 pounds.
- Both breeds share a similar lifespan of 10-14 years.
- Cavapoo: Known for their laid-back and easy-going nature.
- Havapoo: Tends to be more energetic and playful.
- Both breeds are friendly, affectionate, and intelligent, making them excellent family pets.
- Cavapoo Coat: Typically more low-maintenance.
- Havapoo Coat: Requires more attention due to its longer length.
- Regular grooming is essential for both to prevent matting and maintain coat health.
Making the Right Choice
When deciding between a Cavapoo and a Havapoo, consider the specific needs and temperament of each breed. Both are fantastic companions, but the best fit will depend on your family’s lifestyle, space, and time available for grooming and exercise.
Whether it’s the laid-back Cavapoo or the lively Havapoo, you’re sure to find a loving and affectionate addition to your home.
When it comes to health concerns, both Cavapoos and Havapoos are generally healthy breeds.
However, like all dogs, they can be prone to certain health issues. Here are some of the common health problems that these breeds may experience:
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA): This is a degenerative eye disease that can lead to blindness. Both Cavapoos and Havapoos can be susceptible to PRA, so it’s important to have their eyes checked regularly by a veterinarian.
- Hip Dysplasia: This is a genetic disorder that affects the hip joints and can cause pain and mobility issues. Both breeds can be prone to hip dysplasia, so it’s important to keep them at a healthy weight and provide them with regular exercise.
In addition to these specific health concerns, it’s important to keep up with regular veterinary check-ups and vaccinations to ensure the overall health of your Cavapoo or Havapoo.
Behavioral and Temperamental Differences: Cavapoo vs. Havapoo
Exploring the Distinct Personalities
Both Cavapoos and Havapoos are cherished for their friendly, affectionate, and playful nature, making them excellent companions, especially for families. However, subtle differences set them apart.
Cavapoos: The Relaxed Companion
- Laid-back Nature: Cavapoos are generally more relaxed and easy-going.
- Ideal for Calmer Lifestyles: They are well-suited for families or individuals preferring a less active, more low-key environment.
Havapoos: The Energetic Playmate
- Vivacious and Lively: Havapoos exhibit more energy and liveliness.
- Perfect for Active Families: They align well with families that are more dynamic and engage in frequent activities.
Managing Separation Anxiety (Both Breeds)
- Cavapoos and Attachment: Prone to developing separation anxiety due to their strong attachment to owners.
- Training and Conditioning: For both breeds, it’s crucial to gradually accustom them to being alone and consider crate training as part of their routine.
A Blend of Cuteness and Charm
Cavapoos and Havapoos are winning hearts with their small size, adorable looks, and friendly demeanor.
The Perfect Poodle Mix
- Cavapoo: A beautiful mix of a Poodle and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
- Havapoo: A delightful cross between a Poodle and a Havanese.
Shared Physical Traits
- Both breeds boast soft, curly coats available in a variety of colors including white, black, brown, and cream.
- The nature of their coats can be straight or wavy, showcasing the diverse genetics from their parent breeds.
Size and Appearance
- Generally, these dogs are small, with weights ranging from 7 to 25 pounds and standing 8 to 15 inches tall.
- Size variations can occur, influenced by the size of their Poodle parent.
- Cavapoos are distinguished by their longer ears, a trait inherited from the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
- Havapoos tend to have shorter ears, reflective of their Havanese lineage.
The Ideal Family Pet
Both the Cavapoo and Havapoo are perfect for families. Known for their affectionate and playful nature, they blend seamlessly into homes with children and other pets.
If you’re seeking a cuddly, friendly, and loving dog, either of these breeds could be the perfect addition to your family.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a Cavapoo and a Havapoo?
Cavapoos and Havapoos are both small, adorable, and affectionate dogs, but they have some differences. Cavapoos are a mix between Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle, while Havapoos are a mix between Havanese and Poodle. Cavapoos are usually more energetic than Havapoos, especially as puppies. Havapoos tend to be more laid-back and relaxed. In terms of size, Cavapoos can grow up to 12 inches tall and weigh between 15 to 30 pounds, while Havapoos usually weigh less than 10 pounds.
Are Havapoos more hypoallergenic than Cavapoos?
Both Havapoos and Cavapoos are considered hypoallergenic dogs because they produce less dander than other breeds. However, there is no guarantee that either breed will not cause an allergic reaction in some people. It is always recommended to spend time with the dog before adopting to see if there is any allergic reaction.
Which breed is more suitable for apartment living, Cavapoos or Havapoos?
Both Cavapoos and Havapoos are suitable for apartment living because they are small and do not require a lot of space. However, Havapoos are smaller than Cavapoos, making them an even better choice for apartment living. Both breeds are also adaptable and can adjust to different living situations.
What is the average lifespan of a Cavapoo or a Havapoo?
The average lifespan of a Cavapoo or a Havapoo is around 10 to 15 years. However, it is important to note that the lifespan of a dog can vary depending on various factors such as diet, exercise, and genetics.
Are Cavapoos or Havapoos better with children?
Both Cavapoos and Havapoos are friendly and affectionate dogs that enjoy being around people, including children. However, it is important to supervise children when they are playing with any dog to prevent accidents or injuries. It is also recommended to socialize the dog with children from a young age to ensure they are comfortable around them.