Dog Ate a Mole: How Bad is It?

Issue Dog ate a mole
Quick Info Eating a mole may not be harmful to dogs, but it may expose them to harmful bacteria or parasites that can cause health issues. Additionally, moles may carry diseases or toxins that can be harmful to dogs
What to Do Monitor the dog’s behavior and health, watch for signs of infection or illness, consult with a veterinarian

Moles and Dogs: 101  

If you have caught your dog eating a mole, you may be wondering what to do next.

While it may seem like a harmless activity, there are potential risks to consider.

Dog’s Interest in Moles

Dogs are naturally curious animals and may be drawn to the activity of digging in the yard.

Moles are small rodents that often tunnel underground, making them a tempting target for dogs.

Some dogs may also be attracted to the scent of moles, which can be strong and pungent.

Risks of Eating a Mole

While it may be tempting to dismiss your dog’s mole-eating as harmless, there are several potential risks to consider. These include:

  • Stomach upset: Eating a mole can cause digestive upset in dogs, leading to symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Parasites: Moles can carry parasites such as fleas and ticks, which can be passed on to your dog if they eat a mole.
  • Poisoning: Moles may be poisoned with mole baits, which are toxic to dogs if ingested.
  • Rabies: Moles are wild animals and may carry rabies, which can be transmitted to your dog if they come into contact with a mole’s saliva.

It is important to monitor your dog closely if you suspect they have eaten a mole. If you notice any symptoms of illness or unusual behavior, it is best to consult with your veterinarian.

Related:

Dog ate a chipmunk

Potential Health Risks

If your dog eats a mole, call the vet

If your dog ate a mole, there are potential health risks that you should be aware of. Some of these risks can be serious and require immediate medical attention.

Below are some of the potential health risks associated with dogs eating moles.

Symptoms to Watch For

If your dog ate a mole, there are some symptoms you should watch for.

These symptoms may indicate that your dog is experiencing some health problems. Some of the symptoms to watch for include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Seizures
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Fever
  • Bloody stool
  • Anemia
  • Muscle pain
  • Neurological problems
  • Respiratory disorders
  • Paralysis
  • Symptoms of illness such as bleeding, nausea, and others.

If you notice any of these symptoms, you should take your dog to the vet immediately.

Serious Complications

Dog Dug up mole and ate it, will they get sick

There are some serious complications that can arise if your dog eats a mole. Some of the potential complications include:

  • Rabies: Moles are known carriers of rabies, and if your dog ate a mole, there is a risk that it could contract the disease.
  • Parasites: Moles can carry parasites such as tapeworms, roundworms, fleas, and ticks. These parasites can cause serious health issues in your dog if left untreated.
  • Bacteria: Moles can also carry bacteria that can cause infections in your dog.
  • Intestinal obstruction: The mole’s bones could clump together in the dog’s digestive tract and cause an obstruction. This can be a life-threatening condition if left untreated.
  • Toxicity: If the mole ate poison before your dog ate it, this poison would also affect your dog. He could become poisoned.

To avoid these serious complications, it is important to keep an eye on your dog and take him to the vet if you notice any symptoms of illness.

Additionally, make sure your dog is up to date on his rabies vaccine to reduce the risk of contracting the disease.

OK, Your Dog Ate a Mole: Now What?

If your dog has eaten a mole, there are some immediate actions that you can take to minimize the risk of harm to your pet.

Additionally, there are some long-term care steps that you can take to prevent future incidents.

Right Away

  1. Contact your veterinarian: If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, it is important to contact your veterinarian right away. They can help you determine if your dog needs medical attention and what steps you should take next.
  2. Remove any dead moles: If your dog has eaten a dead mole, it is important to remove any remaining carcasses from your yard. Dead moles can be toxic and can cause your dog to become ill.
  3. Watch for behavioral changes: Keep an eye on your dog’s behavior for any changes. If your dog becomes lethargic, experiences tremors, or exhibits any other unusual behavior, contact your veterinarian immediately.
  4. Check for fleas and ticks: Moles are known carriers of fleas and ticks, so it is important to check your dog for these pests. If you find any, use a flea and tick preventative to protect your pet.

Prevention

  1. Train your dog: If your dog has a history of eating moles, it may be necessary to train them not to do so. Work with a professional trainer to develop a plan that will discourage this behavior.
  2. Use mole traps: If moles are a problem in your yard, consider using traps to catch them. Be sure to follow all safety precautions when setting and using traps.
  3. Avoid using mole poisons: Mole poisons can be toxic to pets and people. Avoid using these chemicals in your yard, and if you must use them, be sure to follow all safety precautions.
  4. Contact the pet poison helpline: If your dog has eaten a mole that has been poisoned, contact the pet poison helpline right away. They can provide guidance on what steps to take next.

By taking these steps, you can help keep your dog safe and healthy after they have eaten a mole.

Remember to always contact your veterinarian if you suspect that your pet has been poisoned or is experiencing any other health issues.

Related:

Dog Ate Groundhog

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the risks of a dog eating a mole?

While it is generally safe for dogs to eat moles, there are some risks associated with it. Moles can carry diseases such as rabies, which can be transmitted to your dog if they eat an infected mole. In addition, moles can also carry parasites like fleas and ticks, which can cause health problems for your dog.

How do I know if my dog has been poisoned by a mole?

If your dog has been poisoned by a mole, they may show symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. In severe cases, your dog may experience seizures or difficulty breathing. If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

What are the symptoms of a dog eating a mole?

If your dog has eaten a mole, they may show symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. In some cases, your dog may also experience lethargy and dehydration. If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, it is important to monitor them closely and seek veterinary care if necessary.

Can a dog get sick from eating a mole?

While it is generally safe for dogs to eat moles, there is a risk that they may become sick from eating one. Moles can carry diseases and parasites that can cause health problems for your dog. It is important to monitor your dog closely if they have eaten a mole and seek veterinary care if necessary.

What should I do if my dog ate a mole?

If your dog has eaten a mole, it is important to monitor them closely for any signs of illness. If your dog exhibits symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. In addition, you should try to prevent your dog from eating moles in the future by keeping them away from areas where moles are present.

Is it safe for my dog to eat moles?

While it is generally safe for dogs to eat moles, there are some risks associated with it. Moles can carry diseases and parasites that can cause health problems for your dog. In addition, moles can also be difficult for your dog to digest, which can cause gastrointestinal problems. It is important to monitor your dog closely if they have eaten a mole and seek veterinary care if necessary.