Dog Ate Andes Mints: What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate

When it comes to our dogs, we all know they have a knack for getting into things they shouldn’t. One common issue is when a dog eats something they shouldn’t, like Andes mints.

While these mints may seem harmless to us, they can be dangerous for our dogs. If your dog has eaten Andes mints, it’s important to take action quickly to ensure their safety.

Dog Ate Andes Mints, They Should be OK 

Andes mints contain a variety of ingredients that can be harmful to dogs, including sugar, palm kernel oil, cocoa, and artificial flavors. Depending on the amount ingested, your dog may experience vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, and even seizures.

Key Takeaways

  • Andes mints can be harmful to dogs and may cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, and even seizures.
  • If your dog has eaten Andes mints, it’s important to take immediate action to ensure their safety.
  • Long-term care and preventive measures can help keep your dog safe from Andes mint ingestion in the future.

Andes Mints and Dogs:  Why They Should Be Avoided

Don't give a dog andes mints on purpose

Ingredients in Andes Mints

Andes Mints are chocolate candies with a layer of peppermint filling. The ingredients include sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, cocoa powder, whey, nonfat milk, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavors, and peppermint oil.

The chocolate used in Andes Mints is made from cocoa solids and cocoa butter. The cocoa solids contain theobromine, a chemical compound that is toxic to dogs.

Why Andes Mints are Harmful to Dogs

Peppermint and chocolate are both toxic to dogs. Peppermint oil can cause digestive upset and even liver damage in dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine, which dogs cannot metabolize as efficiently as humans. This means that theobromine can build up in a dog’s system and cause a range of symptoms, from mild to severe.

The severity of a dog’s reaction to Andes Mints depends on several factors, including the dog’s size, weight, and overall health. In general, the more Andes Mints a dog eats, the more severe the symptoms are likely to be.

If your dog eats one or two Andes Mints, they may experience some digestive upset, such as vomiting or diarrhea, but they will likely recover on their own. However, if your dog eats a large amount of Andes Mints, they may experience more severe symptoms, such as seizures, tremors, or even death.

It’s important to note that even small amounts of chocolate can be dangerous for dogs, so it’s best to keep all chocolate and chocolate-containing products out of reach of your dog. If you suspect that your dog has eaten Andes Mints or any other chocolate-containing product, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Signs Your Dog Ate Andes Mints

Andes Mints Are Bad For Dogs

If you suspect that your dog has eaten Andes mints, it is essential to keep an eye out for signs of chocolate poisoning. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. The amount of theobromine present in chocolate varies depending on the type and quality of the chocolate. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate contain higher levels of theobromine than milk chocolate or white chocolate.

The following are signs that your dog may have ingested Andes mints:

Vomiting and Diarrhea

Vomiting and diarrhea are common signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs. Theobromine can cause irritation to the stomach lining, leading to vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog has eaten Andes mints, you may notice that they are vomiting or have diarrhea.

Increased Thirst and Urination

Theobromine can also affect the kidneys, leading to increased thirst and urination. If your dog has consumed Andes mints, they may drink more water than usual and need to go outside to urinate more frequently.

Restlessness and Panting

Theobromine can stimulate the nervous system, leading to restlessness and panting. If your dog has eaten Andes mints, they may appear agitated, restless, and pant heavily.

Muscle Tremors and Seizures

In severe cases of chocolate poisoning, dogs may experience muscle tremors and seizures. These symptoms can be life-threatening and require immediate veterinary attention. If your dog has consumed Andes mints and is experiencing muscle tremors or seizures, take them to the vet immediately.

It is crucial to keep in mind that the severity of symptoms depends on the amount of chocolate your dog has consumed, their weight, and their overall health. If you suspect that your dog has eaten Andes mints or any other chocolate, contact your veterinarian immediately. They can provide advice on what to do next and may recommend bringing your dog in for treatment.

What to Do When if Your Dog Ate Andes Mints

It's always best to stick with treats made for dogs

If your dog has eaten Andes mints, it is essential to act quickly. Immediate action can help reduce the severity of symptoms and prevent complications. In this section, we will cover the two most important immediate actions to take: contacting a vet and inducing vomiting.

Contacting a Vet

The first thing you should do when you suspect your dog has eaten Andes mints is to contact your veterinarian. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action based on your dog’s size, weight, and the amount of chocolate they have consumed.

If you are unable to reach your veterinarian, you can also contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. They can provide you with information on the toxicity of Andes mints and advise you on how to proceed.

Inducing Vomiting

If your dog has eaten Andes mints within the last two hours, inducing vomiting may help remove the chocolate from their system. However, it is essential to consult with your veterinarian before attempting to induce vomiting, as it can be dangerous in some cases.

If your veterinarian advises you to induce vomiting, you can do so by giving your dog hydrogen peroxide. The recommended dosage is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, up to a maximum of three teaspoons. Administer the hydrogen peroxide using a syringe or turkey baster.

After giving your dog the hydrogen peroxide, take them outside or to an area where they can vomit safely. It may take up to 20 minutes for the hydrogen peroxide to take effect. If your dog does not vomit within 20 minutes, do not give them another dose.

In conclusion, if your dog has eaten Andes mints, it is essential to act quickly. Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center and follow their advice. If your veterinarian advises you to induce vomiting, do so with caution and only after consulting with them.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can dogs eat Andes mints?

No, dogs should not eat Andes mints or any chocolate. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of chocolate can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, and increased heart rate.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs?

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs can include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, increased heart rate, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, seizures, and even death in severe cases. These symptoms can occur within a few hours of ingestion and can last for several days.

How much chocolate is toxic to dogs?

The amount of chocolate that is toxic to dogs depends on the type of chocolate, the size of the dog, and how much chocolate was ingested. Generally, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic it is to dogs. As little as 0.1 ounce of baking chocolate per pound of body weight can cause symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs. Milk chocolate is less toxic, but can still cause symptoms if ingested in large amounts.

What should I do if my dog eats mint chocolate?

If your dog eats mint chocolate, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. They may recommend inducing vomiting to remove the chocolate from your dog’s system. In some cases, your dog may need to be hospitalized for treatment, especially if they have ingested a large amount of chocolate or are experiencing severe symptoms.

Can peppermint be harmful to dogs?

Peppermint is generally safe for dogs in small amounts. However, large amounts of peppermint oil or extract can be toxic to dogs, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and liver damage. If you suspect your dog has ingested a large amount of peppermint oil or extract, contact your veterinarian immediately.

What types of chocolate are toxic to dogs?

All types of chocolate can be toxic to dogs, but some are more toxic than others. Unsweetened baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain the highest levels of theobromine and are the most toxic to dogs. Milk chocolate and white chocolate contain lower levels of theobromine and are less toxic, but can still cause symptoms if ingested in large amounts.