Dog Ate Hershey Kisses with Wrapper: Quick Guide on Safe Recovery

Has your dog eaten one Hershey’s Kiss with a wrapper?  If so, it is unlikely to cause any harm.

However, if your dog has eaten multiple pieces of chocolate, especially with wrappers still intact, it is important to take them to the vet immediately.

Chocolate can be toxic for dogs and should not be consumed in large quantities. If you are unsure about how much chocolate your dog has eaten or what type of chocolate it was, seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.

What Happens When a Dog Eats Hershey Kisses with Wrapper

dog ate hershey kisses with wrapper

Effects of Chocolate on Dogs

When your dog consumes Hershey kisses, it is important to consider the potential harm caused by the chocolate itself. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs.

The level of toxicity depends on factors such as the type of chocolate, the quantity ingested, and your dog’s weight.

Milk chocolate, like Hershey kisses, contains a lower concentration of theobromine compared to dark chocolate. However, even small amounts can be harmful.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, and seizures. In severe cases, it may lead to liver failure or even death.

Effects of Ingesting Foil Wrapper

In addition to the chocolate, there’s the concern of your dog consuming the foil wrapper. While ingesting a single wrapper might not pose a significant risk, multiple wrappers could potentially cause an obstruction in your dog’s digestive tract.

Symptoms indicating a possible obstruction include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. In case your dog shows any of these signs, it is crucial to contact your veterinarian promptly.

However, it is worth noting that most dogs will likely pass the Hershey kiss wrapper without any complications.

Tonitor your dog closely if they have eaten Hershey kisses with the wrapper. Immediate veterinary attention is essential if any distress signs are observed, as both chocolate toxicity and intestinal obstruction pose potential risks to your dog’s health.

Observing Your Dog After Ingestion

what to do after dog eats Hershey Kisses in Wrapper

Signs of Distress

After your dog has ingested Hershey kisses with wrappers, it is vital to observe them closely for any signs of distress. Symptoms may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased body temperature
  • Increased reflex responses
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Low blood pressure

If you notice any of these symptoms, contact the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 or your veterinarian or emergency vet right away.

Monitor Eating and Drinking

Keep an eye on your dog’s food and water intake following the ingestion of Hershey kisses with wrappers. It is essential for your dog to maintain their regular eating and drinking habits.

Sudden changes in appetite or inability to drink water may be indications of complications related to the ingestion.

Bowel Movements

Monitor your dog’s bowel movements for signs of the Hershey Kiss wrappers passing through their system.

If your dog experiences difficulty passing the foil or paper wrappers or if there is no sign of the wrappers in their stool after a couple of days, consult your veterinarian for further advice.

Additionally, keep an eye out for any changes in the consistency of their stool, as this can be an indication of an underlying issue.

Do You Need to Call the Vet?

Check Dog’s Condition

If your dog ate Hershey’s kisses with the wrapper, you need to carefully assess their condition first. Check for any immediate signs of discomfort or distress. These might include:

  • Vomiting
  • Fast breathing
  • Excessive thirst
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Seizures or coma

When to Contact a Veterinarian

Monitor your dog closely for these symptoms, as they can indicate chocolate toxicity. It’s worth noting that milk chocolate, which Hershey kisses are made of, is less toxic to dogs than dark chocolate.

However, the wrappers can cause additional problems, such as gastrointestinal blockages.

If your dog starts showing any of the mentioned symptoms or if you’re unsure about the amount of chocolate your dog ingested, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and contact a veterinarian immediately.

They will be able to advise you on the proper course of action, which may include inducing vomiting, administering medications, or bringing your pet in for further examination or treatment.