Dog Ate Kong Rubber: What to Do Next

Kong toys are typically made from durable, non-toxic rubber, which is designed to be safe for dogs.

If a large piece is swallowed, there is a risk of gastrointestinal blockage. The size of the dog and the size of the ingested piece will affect the level of risk.

What to Do if a dog eats a kong rubber toy

dog ate rubber kong toy: Quick Help Table

What To DoAction Needed
Immediate ActionTake away any remaining pieces to avoid more ingestion.
ObserveLook for any signs of choking, discomfort, or distress.
Check for SymptomsCoughing, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy.
Prevent DehydrationMake sure your dog has access to fresh water.
Do Not Induce VomitingDoing so without a vet’s instruction can be risky.
Call the VetIf your dog is showing symptoms or if the piece was large.
Follow Vet AdviceYou may be advised to monitor your dog or come in for a visit.
Monitor for 24-48 HoursWatch for any changes in behavior or bowel movements.
Check Bowel MovementsLook for the rubber pieces to pass or any signs of a blockage.
Dietary AdjustmentYour vet might suggest a high-fiber diet to help pass the rubber.
Keep WatchKeep a close eye on your dog for a few days for any signs of distress.

Possible Health Risks

the Risks of Kong Toy Ingestion

Has your furry friend had a nibble on their Kong rubber toy? It’s important to know the potential health risks and the immediate steps to take.

The Dangers of Blockage

When dogs eat Kong rubber, the big concern is bowel obstruction. This happens if the rubber gets stuck in their intestines, leading to symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and a loss of appetite.

Size of the Piece Matters

A small piece may pass through without causing trouble. But if it’s a big piece, don’t wait — get to the vet. They might need to do an x-ray or run tests to find the rubber inside your dog’s digestive system.

Recognizing Bowel Obstruction

If you spot symptoms, act fast. In severe cases, surgery might be needed to remove the obstruction.

To lower the risk, always watch your dog with their Kong toy. Too much chewing or signs of damage? It’s time for a new toy.

How to React Quickly

My dog ate kong toy rubber

Think your dog’s eaten Kong rubber? Here’s what to do:

Inducing Vomiting: (Only With a Vets Guidance)

A vet’s guidance is crucial before you try making your dog vomit. They might tell you to come in straight away or to use hydrogen peroxide at home:

  • Mix one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide with water.
  • Use a syringe for feeding it to your dog.
  • Wait and see if vomiting happens.

If there’s no vomiting after 15 minutes, do not give more. Check the vomit for rubber pieces and take those to the vet.

Getting Professional Help

When in doubt, or if your dog’s in distress, call the vet instantly. They’ll give advice or ask to see your dog. Bring any rubber pieces you’ve found along.

Always err on the side of caution with your dog’s health. If worried, make that vet call.

The Silver Lining

dog ate kong toy

Most of Kong’s toys are made from non-toxic natural rubber — good news if it’s just a small piece your dog ate. But for bigger pieces, don’t delay; get veterinary help.

Usually, a little piece of rubber will make its way out naturally. But keep an eye out for any discomfort or strange behavior, and if something seems off, contact your vet.

Conclusion

Kong toys are generally safe and made to last, but supervision is key. Watch your pet during playtime to prevent any mishaps.

And remember, no matter the size of the toy eaten, quick action is vital.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can KONG rubber cause harm to dogs?

KONG rubber is generally considered safe for dogs to play with and chew on. However, if a dog ingests a large piece of KONG rubber, it can cause a blockage in the digestive system, which can be very dangerous.

How do I know if my dog has ingested KONG rubber?

If your dog has ingested KONG rubber, you may notice symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. You may also see pieces of the rubber in your dog’s stool.

What are the symptoms of my dog eating KONG rubber?

The symptoms of a dog eating KONG rubber can vary depending on the size of the piece ingested and where it is lodged in the digestive system. Common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, and lethargy.

Is it safe to induce vomiting in a dog that has eaten KONG rubber?

It is not safe to induce vomiting in a dog that has eaten KONG rubber unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian. Inducing vomiting can be dangerous if the rubber is already causing a blockage in the digestive system.

What should I do if my dog has ingested KONG rubber?

If your dog has ingested KONG rubber, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Your veterinarian may recommend monitoring your dog’s symptoms or may need to perform surgery to remove the blockage.

Are there any long-term effects of a dog eating KONG rubber?

If a dog ingests KONG rubber and receives prompt veterinary care, there are usually no long-term effects. However, if the blockage is not treated promptly, it can cause serious damage to the digestive system and can even be fatal.