Dog Ate Silly Putty, Dangerous or Harmless?

If your dog has accidentally eaten Silly Putty, you might be concerned about its composition and potential effects. Silly Putty is a commonly used plaything that both kids and adults love, but it’s crucial to understand its ingredients and whether it poses any risk to your beloved furry companion.

Silly Putty is made of silicone polymers, boric acid, granular additives like clay and calcium carbonate, and a few other chemicals. While it’s not toxic to dogs, consuming it may lead to an intestinal blockage in some rare cases.

In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what Silly Putty is made of, whether or not it’s toxic to dogs, and what symptoms to watch out for if your dog has ingested it. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions about Silly Putty and dogs.

Key Takeaways

dogs + silly putty
  • Silly Putty is made of silicone polymers, boric acid, granular additives like clay and calcium carbonate, and a few other chemicals.
  • While Silly Putty is not toxic to dogs, it may lead to an intestinal blockage in some rare cases.
  • Symptoms to watch out for if your dog has ingested Silly Putty include vomiting, diarrhea, and signs of discomfort or pain. If your dog shows any of these symptoms, it’s important to call your veterinarian.

What Is Silly Putty Made Of?

If your dog ate silly putty, it’s important to know what it’s made of to determine whether it’s safe or not. Silly putty is a type of squishy clay that is composed mainly of silicone oil mixed with polymers.

Then, a magic ingredient named Boric acid is added to the silicone polymer, which provides this toy its elasticity. Altogether, this clay has rubber-like stretching and rebound properties that allow it to return to its original form.

Composition

Silly putty is made up of the following components:

  • Silicone polymers
  • Boric acid
  • Powdered fillers (clay and calcium carbonate)
  • Other chemicals

The exact composition may vary depending on the manufacturer, but these are the main components that make up silly putty.

Properties

Silly putty has some unique physical properties that make it a popular toy for both children and adults. It bounces, but it breaks when given a sharp blow, and it can also flow like a liquid. It contains viscoelastic liquid silicones (the link is to a full list of ingredients in silly putty), a type of non-Newtonian fluid, which makes it act as a viscous liquid over a long time period but as an elastic solid over a short time period.

While silly putty is generally safe for humans, it’s important to keep it away from pets, especially dogs, as they may accidentally ingest it. Ingesting a small amount of silly putty is unlikely to cause any harm, but consuming a large amount can lead to an intestinal blockage. I

f your dog has eaten a large amount of silly putty or is showing signs of discomfort, it’s best to contact your veterinarian for advice.

Is Silly Putty Toxic to Dogs?

is silly putty toxic to dogs

If your dog has eaten Silly Putty, you may be wondering if it is toxic and if you need to call the vet. Here’s what you need to know.

Why Dogs Eat Silly Putty

Dogs are known for their curious nature and tendency to chew on things they shouldn’t. Silly Putty is a soft and squishy substance that can be fun for dogs to play with and chew on. However, it’s important to keep in mind that Silly Putty is not a food item and should not be ingested by dogs.

Potential Risks

The good news is that Silly Putty is generally considered to be non-toxic to dogs. According to several sources, including Bulldogpapa, Our Fit Pets, and Cuteness, the components used in Silly Putty are safe and non-toxic if consumed or sniffed.

The main ingredients in Silly Putty are silicone polymers, boric acid, granular additives like clay and calcium carbonate, and a few chemicals.

However, there are some potential risks to be aware of if your dog has eaten Silly Putty. In some rare cases, consuming Silly Putty may lead to an intestinal blockage. Symptoms of an intestinal blockage may include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and lethargy. If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after they have eaten Silly Putty, it’s important to contact your veterinarian right away.

In summary, while Silly Putty is generally considered to be non-toxic to dogs, it’s still important to keep it out of their reach and to monitor them closely if they do happen to ingest it. If you have any concerns about your dog’s health after they have eaten Silly Putty, don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian for advice.

Symptoms to Watch Out For

symptoms of a dog eating silly putty

If your dog has eaten silly putty, there are several symptoms that you should watch out for. While some dogs may not experience any symptoms at all, others may experience mild to severe symptoms. Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

Vomiting

Vomiting is one of the most common symptoms that dogs may experience after eating silly putty. If your dog vomits once or twice, it may not be a cause for concern. However, if your dog continues to vomit or vomits blood, you should seek veterinary attention immediately.

Diarrhea

Diarrhea is another common symptom that dogs may experience after eating silly putty. If your dog has diarrhea, it may be a sign that their digestive system is having trouble processing the putty. If your dog has diarrhea for more than a day or two, you should seek veterinary attention.

Abdominal Pain

Abdominal pain is another symptom that dogs may experience after eating silly putty. Your dog may whine, cry, or show signs of discomfort when you touch their belly. If your dog is experiencing abdominal pain, you should seek veterinary attention immediately.

Loss of Appetite

If your dog has eaten silly putty, they may lose their appetite. If your dog refuses to eat or drink for more than a day, you should seek veterinary attention.

Difficulty Breathing

In rare cases, silly putty can cause a blockage in your dog’s airway. If your dog is having trouble breathing, you should seek veterinary attention immediately.

Remember, if you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, it is important to seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.

When to Call the Vet

Should I consult my veterinarian because my dog ate silly putty

If your dog has consumed silly putty, it’s important to monitor them for any signs of distress. While silly putty is not toxic to dogs, it can still cause gastrointestinal issues or blockages. Here are some signs that you should call your vet:

  • Vomiting: If your dog is vomiting frequently, this could be a sign that the silly putty is causing an obstruction in their gastrointestinal tract. Your vet may need to perform an X-ray to determine the severity of the blockage.
  • Diarrhea: If your dog is experiencing diarrhea after consuming silly putty, it could be a sign that their digestive system is struggling to pass the putty. This could also be a sign of a blockage.
  • Abdominal pain: If your dog is experiencing abdominal pain or seems uncomfortable, it could be a sign that the silly putty is causing an obstruction or irritation in their gastrointestinal tract.
  • Loss of appetite: If your dog is not interested in their food or treats, it could be a sign that they are experiencing discomfort or pain in their digestive system.

If your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to call your vet right away. Your vet may recommend bringing your dog in for an examination or may provide guidance on how to monitor your dog’s symptoms at home. In some cases, your vet may need to perform surgery to remove a blockage caused by the silly putty.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the potential dangers of dogs eating Silly Putty?

If a dog eats a large amount of Silly Putty, it can cause an intestinal blockage, which can be dangerous. The blockage can prevent food and water from passing through the digestive system, leading to dehydration and malnutrition.

What are the ingredients in Silly Putty?

Silly Putty is made of silicone polymers, other chemicals, boric acid, and powdered fillers such as clay and calcium carbonate.

Is Silly Putty toxic to dogs?

Silly Putty is not toxic to dogs, but it can cause an intestinal blockage if a large amount is consumed.

What should I do if my dog eats Silly Putty?

If your dog eats Silly Putty, monitor him closely for any signs of discomfort or distress. If you notice any symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Can eating Silly Putty cause health problems for dogs?

In rare cases, eating Silly Putty can cause an intestinal blockage, which can be a serious health problem for dogs. However, most dogs will not experience any long-term health problems from eating small amounts of Silly Putty.

Are there any immediate symptoms if a dog eats Silly Putty?

Some immediate symptoms of Silly Putty ingestion in dogs include vomiting, stomach pain, and heavy drooling. However, these symptoms may not appear immediately, and some dogs may not show any symptoms at all.