Dog Ate Skittles: What to When Your Dog “Tastes the Rainbow”

Question What should I do if my dog ate Skittles?
Quick Answer Skittles are not toxic to dogs, but they are high in sugar and can cause gastrointestinal distress
What to Do Monitor your dog for symptoms of gastrointestinal distress, provide plenty of fresh water, and contact your veterinarian if you notice any concerning symptoms (also, be sure to provide extra bathroom breaks)

Risks of Dogs Eating Skittles

Skittles are terrible for dogs  

If your dog has eaten Skittles, there are some risks to be aware of. While Skittles are not toxic to dogs, they can still cause some health issues. Here are some of the potential risks to your dog’s health:

Sugar Content

Skittles are high in sugar, which can cause some problems for your dog. Eating too much sugar can lead to weight gain, dental problems, and even diabetes. If your dog has a sweet tooth, it’s best to avoid giving them sugary treats like Skittles.

Artificial Sweeteners

Some Skittles varieties contain artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which can be very dangerous for dogs. Xylitol can cause a rapid release of insulin, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, loss of coordination, and seizures. If you suspect your dog has eaten Skittles with xylitol, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Color Additives

Skittles contain a variety of color additives, which can also cause problems for your dog. Some dogs may be sensitive to certain color additives, leading to allergic reactions or digestive upset. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, it’s best to avoid giving them treats with artificial colors.

Overall, it’s best to avoid giving your dog Skittles. While they may enjoy the taste, the risks to their health outweigh any benefits. Stick to dog-specific treats or natural treats like fruits and vegetables instead.

What to Do if Your Dog “Tastes the Rainbow”

can you feed a dog skittles

If you suspect that your dog has eaten Skittles, it’s important to take immediate action to ensure their safety. Here are some steps you can take:


The first step is to observe your dog for any signs of distress or discomfort. Keep an eye out for the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Excessive thirst or urination
  • Restlessness or agitation

If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s important to take your dog to the vet immediately.

Consulting a Vet

If your dog has eaten Skittles, it’s important to consult a vet as soon as possible. The vet will be able to determine if your dog is at risk for any serious health complications and provide the necessary treatment.

When you take your dog to the vet, be sure to provide as much information as possible about the amount of Skittles they ate, the type of Skittles, and any other relevant details. This will help the vet determine the best course of action.

In some cases, the vet may recommend inducing vomiting to remove any remaining Skittles from your dog’s system. They may also recommend monitoring your dog’s condition or providing supportive care, such as fluids or medication.

Remember, prevention is always better than cure. Keep Skittles and other candy out of your dog’s reach to avoid any potential health risks.

Preventing Dogs from Eating Skittles

what to do if a dog eats skittles

If you want to keep your dog safe from the harmful effects of Skittles, you can take some simple steps to prevent them from eating them. Here are some ways to keep your dog from eating Skittles:

Proper Storage

One of the easiest ways to prevent your dog from eating Skittles is to store them properly. Keep Skittles out of reach of your dog. Store them in a place where your dog cannot access them, such as a high cabinet or a pantry with a secure door. If you have children in the house, make sure they know not to leave Skittles where your dog can get to them.


Training your dog is another effective way to prevent them from eating Skittles. Teach your dog basic commands such as “leave it” or “drop it.” This will help them understand that Skittles are not for them. If your dog is already trained, reinforce these commands by practicing them regularly.

It’s also important to teach your children about the dangers of feeding Skittles to your dog. Make sure they know that Skittles are not a healthy treat for dogs and that they should not be given to them.

By following these simple steps, you can keep your dog safe from the harmful effects of Skittles. Remember, prevention is always better than cure, so take the necessary precautions to keep your dog healthy and happy.


Dog ate Sour Patch kids

Frequently Asked Questions

Can dogs eat Skittles?

While small quantities of Skittles are generally harmless for dogs, it is not recommended to give them as a treat. Eating too many Skittles can cause gastric upset and make your dog sick. If your dog has accidentally eaten Skittles, keep an eye out for stomach upset, bloating, and cramps. If your dog shows any signs of distress, take them to the vet immediately.

Can dogs have freeze-dried Skittles?

Freeze-dried Skittles are not recommended for dogs. They contain high amounts of sugar and artificial colors, which can cause digestive problems and other health issues in dogs.

How many grams is one Skittle?

One Skittle weighs approximately 1 gram.

How many Skittles is 10 grams?

Ten Skittles weigh approximately 10 grams.

Are Skittles bad for you?

Skittles are high in sugar and artificial colors, which can cause health problems such as obesity, diabetes, and tooth decay. It is recommended to consume Skittles in moderation.

Can dogs eat Starburst?

Starburst contains similar ingredients as Skittles and is not recommended for dogs. It is best to avoid giving your dog any candy or human food as treats.