Will One Plum Pit Kill a Dog? The Surprising Truth Unleashed

Dog owners know the challenge of keeping their furry friends from munching on anything and everything they come across.

Plums, while seemingly harmless, can pose a few risks for canines when ingested, particularly in regards to the pit. As responsible pet parents, it’s crucial to understand the dangers and take the appropriate measures to safeguard our four-legged companions.

Dog Ate A Plum Pit

Upon closer examination, plum pits are found to contain a compound called amygdalin, which releases cyanide—a known toxin—when chewed or consumed.

Still, you might wonder how dangerous a single plum pit can actually be for our canine buddies. While the risk varies depending on factors such as your dog’s size and how much of the pit is ingested, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and prevent them from nibbling plum pits altogether.

In this article, we’ll delve into the potential effects of plum pits on dogs, what to do if your dog has consumed one, and how to ensure they never land in Fido’s curious paws in the future.


Key Points

  • Plum pits contain cyanide, which is toxic to dogs
  • Symptoms of cyanide poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and seizures
  • The severity of the symptoms depends on the size of the dog and the amount of cyanide ingested
  • If you suspect your dog has ingested a plum pit, seek veterinary attention immediately
  • Prevention is key – keep all pits and seeds away from your dog’s reach

Plum Pits and Dogs

Will a plum pit kill a dog?

Now, you might be wondering if a single plum pit poses a significant risk. In most cases, one plum pit is unlikely to cause severe poisoning for a medium to large-sized dog. However, smaller breeds or dogs with existing health conditions might be more susceptible to the toxic effects of the amygdalin in plum pits.  Long story short, plums pits are not safe for dogs to eat.

Choking Hazard

Other than the cyanide risk, plum pits can also be a choking hazard for dogs, particularly the smaller breeds. The size and shape of the plum pits make them challenging for dogs to chew properly, and if swallowed whole or in large pieces, the pit could become lodged in the dog’s throat.

Dogs can eat plums, but avoid giving them the pit.

Digestive Systems Obstruction

Digestibility is another concern when it comes to dogs and plum pits. Simply put, these pits are not digestible, and consuming them can cause a gut obstruction.

They are also can pose a choking hazard.  In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove any lodged pits, leading to costly treatment.

Preventing a plum pit from entering your dog’s digestive system is, of course, the best route to take. Make sure to keep your juicy plums out of paw’s reach and always discard the pit responsibly.

If you suspect your dog has ingested a plum pit, monitor them for signs of discomfort, difficulty breathing, or vomiting. Should any of these symptoms arise, contact your veterinarian immediately for proper guidance.


Understanding Cyanide Poisoning

Cyanide poisoning from plum pit signs for dogs

Cyanide is a potent toxin found in trace amounts within plum pits. When ingested, it can cause a range of symptoms and can potentially be life-threatening for dogs. Hydrogen cyanide is released when the pit is broken or chewed, and it is this toxic compound that can lead to cyanide poisoning in our canine companions.

Dogs experiencing cyanide poisoning may exhibit signs such as difficulty breathing, tremors, and diarrhea. Cyanide acts as a fast-acting toxin that interferes with the body’s ability to utilize oxygen, leading to a rapid decline in the animal’s health. This, in turn, causes the tissues and organs to be deprived of essential oxygen, ultimately proving fatal if not treated immediately.

Cyanide toxicity primarily affects the bloodstream and can lead to symptoms similar to those of plum poisoning. It is crucial for pet owners to act quickly if they suspect their dog has ingested a plum pit, as the harmful effects can set in rapidly. In cases of cyanide poisoning, the onset of clinical signs typically occurs within minutes to hours of ingestion.

Due to its rapid effect, cyanide poisoning can become an emergency situation requiring immediate medical intervention. The cynogen compound present in the plum pit quickly transforms into hydrogen cyanide upon contact with the stomach acids. Once in the bloodstream, it can wreak havoc on the dog’s health, with death occurring if swift action is not taken.

While cyanide toxicity poses a serious threat, it’s important to remember that intestinal blockage is a more common problem associated with the ingestion of a plum pit. As a result, it’s essential to remain vigilant for potential symptoms of either cyanide poisoning or intestinal blockage. Acting quickly in these situations can save your dog’s life and prevent any long-term complications.


Symptoms to Watch For

If your dog happens to get ahold of a plum pit, it’s essential to keep an eye on them for any signs of distress. Although one plum pit may not necessarily be fatal, it can still cause some issues that warrant concern. The following are some of the symptoms to watch for:

  • Abdominal pain: Plum pits contain amygdalin, which can cause discomfort in your dog’s stomach. If you notice your dog whining or demonstrating discomfort in the abdominal region, it could be due to the pit.
  • Vomiting: One of the most common symptoms of plum pit ingestion is vomiting. If your dog starts to throw up, it’s a clear sign that something’s not right and a trip to the vet might be in order.
  • Loss of appetite: Keep an eye on your dog’s eating habits. If they start to shy away from their food, it could be because of the discomfort caused by the pit.
  • Respiratory distress: A plum pit could potentially block your dog’s airways, leading to difficulty breathing. If you notice labored breathing, gasping, or wheezing, don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian.
  • Convulsions: Plum pits contain hydrogen cyanide, which can cause neurological issues, such as tremors or seizures, in more severe cases. If you notice your pup displaying any of these symptoms, it’s time to call the vet.

Dealing with Ingested Plum Pits

Well, folks, when your furry friend decides to chow down on a plum pit, it’s essential to keep a few things in mind. First and foremost, while plum pits, as well as those found in peaches and cherries, do contain compounds that turn into cyanide when ingested, the good news is that a single plum pit is unlikely to cause severe toxicity in your pupper.

That being said, the ingestion of fruit seeds or pits is still not advisable, as they pose other risks besides cyanide poisoning, such as potential intestinal tract obstructions or injuries. If your dog manages to swallow a pit, best practices include:

  1. Keep social hour calm: Don’t panic, but keep an eye on your dog for any alarming symptoms, such as seizures, agitation, foaming at the mouth, breathing difficulties, or collapse.
  2. Phone the doc: Promptly call your vet to discuss the situation, and follow any advice they provide.
  3. Take notes: It can be helpful to track any changes in your dog’s behavior so you can provide accurate information to a veterinary professional as needed.

Vet Visits and Treatments

If you suspect your dog has ingested a plum pit, it’s essential to contact your vet immediately. Depending on the situation, your vet may advise you to seek help from an emergency veterinary clinic or schedule an appointment for a physical exam. Prompt action is necessary to prevent possible cyanide poisoning or intestinal blockages.

Upon arrival, your vet may perform a physical examination to assess your dog’s condition. In many cases, if the ingestion of the plum pit has been recent, the vet may decide to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide to quickly remove the pit from your dog’s stomach. Be sure to follow your vet’s exact instructions in this scenario, as incorrect procedures can cause further harm.

If inducing vomiting isn’t successful or deemed inappropriate, the vet might use other methods, such as administering activated charcoal to neutralize the cyanide toxins. In some severe cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the plum pit and avoid any blockages.

During this process, your vet might also rely on research and consult with other veterinary professionals to ensure proper diagnosis and treatment. Alternatively, they could consult an online vet to exchange ideas and discuss your dog’s specific case.

If cyanide poisoning has occurred, sodium nitrite may be prescribed as an effective antidote. This treatment works by binding with the cyanide molecules, neutralizing their toxic effects on your dog’s system. Recovery from cyanide poisoning will depend on the severity of the poisoning and the timeliness of treatment administered.

Abigail Stevens